U.S. Citizenship Interview – What happens after you pass it?

us citizenship interview pass stamp

After you pass your U.S. citizenship interview (also called U.S.citizenship test), USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) will schedule you to take the Oath of Allegiance at a citizenship ceremony (also called naturalization ceremony). This is the last step before becoming a U.S. citizen.

After the U.S. citizenship interview – when and where will the citizenship ceremony take place?

If a citizenship ceremony is available, you might be able to attend it on the same day as your U.S. citizenship interview.

If not, USCIS will mail you a notice (Form N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony) stating where and when you have to present yourself for your ceremony. You might have to wait a few months to take the oath.

You must attend your citizenship ceremony. If you cannot attend your ceremony, you must notify USCIS by returning the form N-445 to your local USCIS office with a letter explaining why you cannot attend your ceremony. In this case, you will be mailed another notice at a later date. If you fail to appear at your ceremony more than once, you may be denied citizenship.

After the U.S. citizenship interview – what to bring to the ceremony?

You need to bring your N-445 form to the ceremony and all documents that this form tells you to bring. This form will be given to you either following your U.S. citizenship test or later, in the mail.

If there is more than one day between your test and your ceremony date, you will be asked to answer the questions included in your form N-445. These questions refer to actions since your test, not before your test. You must answer these questions before you arrive at the ceremony, but you must also answer them on the day of your ceremony. An example of questions being asked: “Have you traveled outside the United States?”

After the U.S. citizenship interview – what happens when you arrive at your ceremony?

When you arrive, you must check-in with a USCIS officer. It is best to arrive in advance of your ceremony time. The officer will review your answers to the N-445 questionnaire, collect all your paperwork, and determine you eligibility to attend the ceremony that day.

When you check-in, you must return your Permanent Resident Card as you will no longer need it after taking the Oath. The only exceptions are:

● You lost it and you have provided proof, during your U.S. citizenship interview, that you did your best to recover it

● You were never given Permanent Residence because of your military service.

After the U.S. citizenship interview – what happens during the ceremony?

U.S. citizenship interview peopleDuring the ceremony, you will take the Oath of Allegiance. You are not a citizen until you take this Oath. An officer will read out each portion of the Oath and you will have to repeat the officer’s words. Taking the Oath means you swear that you will do what is pledged in the Oath.

The Oath of Allegiance is as follow: I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform non-combatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God

What happens after the Oath of Allegiance?

You will become a U.S. citizen after you take the Oath of Allegiance. You will then be given your Certificate of Naturalization.

Make sure all the information on this Certificate is correct. You must inform an officer if there are any mistakes before leaving the ceremony.

Your Certificate of Naturalization is now your proof that you are a U.S. citizen.

Congratulations!

U.S. citizenship interview – Very Important

You only have two chances to pass your interview. If you fail any portion of the test in your second attempt your citizenship application will be denied. As a result, you must be well prepared for this test. We offer a FREE U.S. Citizenship Test complete online training program to help you pass your test. Good luck on your U.S. citizenship interview!

35 Comments » for U.S. Citizenship Interview – What happens after you pass it?
  1. Lirim says:

After I got my citizenship certificate I was told that I would need to go to my local post office to present my citizenship certificate so they can update my status, so that I can get my benefits when I retire. Is this something I need to do if I got my citizenship in 2012?

• S says:

You go to the Social Security Office nearest you to update your records. Wait 10 days for the computers to talk to each other.

• S says:

Go to the Post Office to get a United States Passport. The packet they gave you at the Oath Ceremony usually contains a passport application. Remember you cannot visit your birth country without it.

• S says:

Please register to vote. Sometimes there are people at your oath ceremony who will register you. Otherwise, check at your city hall or public library.

2. Sabrina says:

Hi, I passed my citizenship interview five months ago but they didn’t mail me a notice for ceremony.
    what I do?
    thanks

3. Ayah Abdallah Alkashkeesh says:

I’m pass for interview in ougest first and I’m still wait my ceremony

• Arnold Cruz says:

I passed by citizenship interview/test on Nov 17,2018. It’s now 80 days (almost 3 months) since that interview and I have not been scheduled for the oath ceremony. Is there anything I need to do to follow this up? Thank you.

4. Ahmet says:

I passed the exam of the citizen 2 missing my paper I finished on these two papers, I swore the oath I was curious when it comes to give an information.

5. Jacqueline Lovell says:

I passed the interview last October 24, 2018. I was thinking how long do I need to wait for oat taking ceremony.

6. Jose Ramon Gonzalez says:

Hi, I passed my citizenship interview November 21/2018, but they didn’t mail me a notice for ceremony.
    what I do?
    thanks

7. Elizabeth says:

Husband had interview in September and he passed now still waiting for ceremony letter? We were told it takes up to 4mths to get a response..another 3 weeks it’ll be 4mths…?? What do we do if it’s past 4 mths???

8. Martha kebede says:

I am from Worcester Ma so i pass citizenship interview last Oct 31 it been more than 4 weeks so what shall i do

9. Martha kebede says:

I am from Worcester Ma so i pass citizenship interview last Oct 31 it been more than 8 weeks so what shall i do

10. Tesfaye says:

I’m passed the exam in October I’m
    Still waiting my green already expired ?

11. Olgagoworek says:

If I pass the test may I travel outside of us even if my green card just expired?

12. Corazon R Cruz says:

I passed my interview with my husband .After 2 weeks my husband received a mail for the date of his Oath taking.Why me I didn’t received any mail and my husband will gonna take his Oath taking Ceremony Tomorrow Feb 20…What happen ..I was wondering what happen …I’m still waiting and how many months do I need to wait.Please Im just worried …

• Juan Sebastian Ortiz Hernandez says:

You can call them. Also, If you passed the interview, you don’t have to worried about it.

13. Bredalyn Hill says:

Hi!..Good morning I passed my interview on January 22, 2019 I was told that after 3 weeks I will receive the letter stating about the Oath Ceremony will take place but until now I did not receive. Please be advise what necessary action I need to do.Thank you!

14. Henry O. says:

I passed my citizenship test in December 27th and it’s been 3 months now still haven’t received my notice for the oath ceremony what do I do
    Dallas does not have an info pass

15. Mohammad says:

I passed by citizenship interview/test on 07/14/2018 since that interview and I have not been scheduled for the oath ceremony. Is there anything I need to do to follow this up? Thank you.

16. Ronny Colon says:

Hey how are you??
    I did my USA citizens test and passed..
    The lady who I did the reading and writing test
    Told me to get a federal records so I did and took it
    To her office but I haven’t heard
    From her…

17. candela says:

Hi, i already did my interview, passed and also attended the ceremony. That day they took my green card. I want to travel to Dominican republic. Is there any way of doing so? Either by requesting a paper or some sort of certificate i dont know but i need an answer asap, thank you

18. Harriett C Ball says:

My finance has taken the test and did the interview. Passed the test and we haven’t received anything. It’s been almost a year. What can he/we do? Can i write a letter or email someone to find out about what’s next? Please help. Thanks in Advance!

19. Quynh says:

Hi I passed my interview 3 months ago, but I still haven’t received a notice for the Oath Ceremony date. What should I do now?

20. ryan kim says:

is it possible (legal?) to open a business account with my new first name
    before my oath ceremony ?
    i pass the interview a month ago
    and been dated my ceremony in a week
    but i might need to open a business bank account
    in couples of day

21. Jessica says:

I pass my test on May 3 and didn’t Receive my ceremonial date

22. David brown says:

Did my interview pass it however after waiting my interview stated that she can’t approve my citizenship they need more information can anyone say what does that mean please

23. Mary says:

I have a question that it’s been clouding my mind and I desperately look for help as I’m afraid of what could happen. As I was taking the oral test for citizenship I was asked the date I had left and entered the country for vacations, I said I didn’t remember and then gave the wrong dates, the official tried to help me but I still think the dates were wrong. I passed the test at the end but now I’m afraid of having committed perjury accidentally or something. It was an honest mistake. I really couldn’t remember the dates. What do I do?

24. MEIQING CHEN says:

my dad passed the interview, but never received the notice for ceremony. What should we do?

25. Dieffline says:

I passed my citizens test interview it’s been 3months I haven’t recieved a notice for the oath ceremony I don’t know now what should I do?

26. Ayat says:

Hey ipass interview inn6/18/2019…and I haven’t received any thins about ceremony…I’m from Ohio dayton

27. Shazaad says:

Hi I pass my interview test and pass it almost 5 month now and still waiting for my oath ceremony letter is there someone I can call to see if there is a problem